Published: September 26, 2020
This homemade chicken noodle soup recipe is wonderfully quick and easy, made from scratch with pantry staples. It’s classic comfort food in a bowl and like a warm hug from your grandma. Perfect on a chilly night, when you don’t feel good, or just want something delicious!
Is there anything that defines comfort food more than chicken noodle soup? Other than chocolate chip cookies and pot roast, I say not really. This homemade chicken noodle soup recipe is my go-to when a family member is sick, I need something quick and easy for dinner, or I just want to curl up with a warm bowl of love.
Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe Ingredients
Using pantry staples, this easy chicken soup is a gift when you’re in a pinch for something fast that satisfies. Just because it’s quick and easy, though, doesn’t mean it skimps on flavor. It’s the absolute perfect blend of simple ingredients. Here’s a brief summary of what you need:
- Chicken – seasoned, cooked chicken breast, shredded or chopped. You can bake your own or use rotisserie chicken.
- Vegetables – garlic, onion, carrots, and celery.
- Butter – to saute the vegetables in and complete the non-negotiable mirepoix. Ha.
- Seasonings – salt, pepper, and Italian seasonings.
- Liquid – I use store-bought low sodium chicken broth for ease, but if you make it from scratch, awesome – use it!
- Egg noodles – I always make chicken noodle soup with egg noodles. Grew up eating it that way and I’ll die eating it that way.
How to Make Chicken Noodle Soup
It’s called easy chicken noodle soup for a reason – it really is super easy! Here’s the rundown: (Scroll down for the detailed printable.)
- Melt the butter in a large pot. Add in the onion, celery, carrots, and some of the salt; saute, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add in the garlic and cook just until fragrant.
- Pour in the broth, Italian seasoning, and remaining salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and gently simmer for a bit.
- Add in the noodles and simmer, stirring occasionally, until tender.
- Stir in the chicken and heat through.
- Ladle into bowls and enjoy!
What might sound basic doesn’t mean it’s boring. This soup delivers on both taste and texture. It’s got the perfect ratio of chicken to noodles to broth. It’s so good!!
Is Chicken Noodle Soup Healthy?
I don’t know about canned soup, but this homemade recipe is incredibly healthy! Chicken broth and all those bits of vegetables are a great source of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. These help build a stronger immune system to fight off viruses, and also aid in your body healing more quickly when you do get sick. That’s why so many people refer to it as liquid penicillin!
How many calories in chicken noodle soup? Chicken soup is generally low in calories. One serving of this particular recipe is only 206 calories.
What Goes with Chicken Noodle Soup?
How to Store this Soup
To store in the refrigerator: Cool completely, then transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. NOTE: soup will thicken as it stands and noodles will absorb a lot of the broth. When reheating, thin the soup a bit with some broth.
Can you freeze chicken noodle soup? Chicken noodle soup freezes very well without the noodles, which get super mushy and sort of gross once defrosted. I recommend omitting the noodles and cooking up a fresh batch after the soup has thawed. Transfer cooled soup to airtight container, removing as mush air as possible, and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat in the microwave or stovetop and adding in a fresh batch of cooked noodles.
Other Chicken Soup Recipes We Love
Watch it Being Made
Easy Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
This homemade chicken noodle soup recipe is wonderfully quick and easy, made from scratch with pantry staples. It’s classic comfort food in a bowl!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium sweet onion , diced small
- 2 stalks celery , diced small
- 2 medium carrots , peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt , divided
- 32 ounces low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1/4 cups dried egg noodles
- 1/2 pound (about 1 cup) shredded or chopped cooked, seasoned chicken breast
In a large pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add in the onion, celery, carrots, and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt; sauté, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook until fragrant, 30-60 seconds.
Pour in the broth, Italian seasoning, pepper, and remaining 1 1/4 teaspoons of salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and gently simmer for 10 minutes.
Add in the noodles and simmer, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 8-10 minutes.
Stir in the chicken and heat through.
Ladle into bowls and enjoy!
Calories: 206kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 54mg | Sodium: 720mg | Potassium: 435mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 3594IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 52mg | Iron: 1mg
Nutritional information given is an automatic calculation and can vary based on the exact products you use and any changes you make to the recipe. If these numbers are very important to you, I would recommend calculating them yourself.
Source Article : https://bellyfull.net